Thursday, October 6, 2016

#Inktober 3 - Howard Pyle tribute and master study

Sometimes you learn a lot by copying the masters. When I do a master's study, I use a blank sheet of paper and draw it from scratch, no tracing or anything like that. This is Howard Pyle, the teacher of the Brandywine School (great google search), and coach to very famous artists, like NC Wyeth and more.

I did learn a lot doing this, and I edited it a little bit, cutting the stands from the background - took me a day to figure out what that strip even was.

Here's my master study:

This is about 11" across and rendered in Pitt and Micron pens. I did a loose pencil underneath first. It took two days and I'm catching up the Inktobers as a result. #Inktober #Inktober2016

And here's the original Howard Pyle illustration: